Presentations – 2012
During 2012 I delivered the following public sessions, where possible I have provided a link to a recording or session material. This list does not contain product related recordings that I have made for my employer Quest Software. These recordings can be found at http://www.quest.com/events/list.aspx.
Deploying SQL Server Tips & Tricks
Next, next, next, etc. etc. etc. Close
Microsoft have made sure that installing SQL Server is an incredibly easy process, making sure that it meets the needs of your customers isn’t so straightforward. Richard Douglas will be offering insight into best practices for successfully deploying SQL Server environments that will keep your users happy.
In this session we won’t be covering the wizard, we’ll be going behind the magic to see where the real work is done:
- Pre-requisites and why you need to plan your installation.
- Performance enhancing installation options.
- Post installation configuration.
Clicking “Close” isn’t the end, it’s the start of a brand new adventure.
- Online – 19th January 2012 – http://www.quest.com/webcast-ondemand/-sql-1-deploying-sql-server-tips-tricks816350.aspx
Spend more time with your Valentine, automate your workload
Being a successful DBA can be difficult job, there are many things that need to be done on a daily basis just to keep things ticking along. Doing this on a few servers is quite time consuming, now what if you had tens, hundreds or even thousands of SQL instances to manage? The manual model really doesn’t scale, this is why you need to learn about the power of automation.
In this educational webcast Quest Software’s very own SQL Server Professional Richard Douglas will be covering how you can automate those tasks with the use of a scheduler. Most editions of SQL Server ship with a component called the SQL Server Agent which allows you to automate your tasks. In this session he will show you how to install, configure and use this component as well as how to troubleshoot when things go wrong and adhere to best practices. In addition he will share tips and tricks on how to schedule tasks when this component is not available. If that wasn’t enough then you’ll be pleased to hear that he will also be covering how to create automated alerts to inform you of system performance problems.
- Online – 16th February 2012 – unrecorded
How to improve SQL Server performance with indexing
Indexing presents daunting challenges, as it offers countless options to choose from. Even organizing indexes in an optimal fashion can be overwhelming. But with a little help from SQL Server domain experts Peter O’Connell and Richard Douglas, you’ll see how to simplify indexing and improve the overall performance of your SQL Server applications.
Peter and Richard will provide step-by-step guidance to help you:
- Find missing and unused indexes
- Resolve fragmentation issues
- Follow the golden rules of indexing
- And much more
- Online – 29th August 2012 – http://www.quest.com/webcast-ondemand/-ondemand-experts-webcast-how-to-improve-sql-server-performance-with-i818282.aspx
- Maidenhead SQL Server User Group – 9th October 2012
- Online – 18th October 2012 – http://www.quest.com/webcast-ondemand/experts-webcast-how-to-improve-sql-server-performance-with-indexing818661.aspx
Natural Born Killers, performance issues to avoid
Join our database expert as he shares easy, yet powerful, techniques for improving SQL Server performance. You’ll learn simple tricks to write better code, scripts, and tables. Plus, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of common database development and administration mistakes, and how you can avoid them.
- Online – 22nd November 2012 – http://www.quest.com/webcast-ondemand/learn-experts-tips-for-improving-your-sql-server-performance-818869.aspx
- Galway (ITAG) – 27th November
Expert tricks for improving your backup and recovery strategy
In this educational session, you’ll gain invaluable guidance for optimizing your backup and recovery efforts. Our database expert will show you how to dramatically accelerate backups, perform faster recoveries, and ensure your organization’s critical data is always protected.
Plus, you’ll learn tricks and tips to master database monitoring and benchmarking to achieve peak system performance.
- Online – 20th December 2012 – (Partial Recording) – http://www.quest.com/webcast-ondemand/expert-tricks-for-improving-your-backup-and-recovery-strategy-818995.aspx